- Diploma - Piedmont Hospital School of Nursing, Atlanta, Georgia (Nursing)- 1969.
- BSN - Sonoma State University, Cotati, California (Nursing) - 1980.
- MSN - University of California, San Francisco, California (Nursing) - 1982.
- Adjunct Instructor, Vocational Nursing (LVN) Program, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa CA, Fall 2010 - present
- Assistant Director and Instructor, Vocational Nursing (LVN) Program, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa CA, Fall 2007 - May 2010
- Instructor, Psychiatric Technician Program, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa CA, Fall 2000 - Spring 2007
- Online Course Development, Health Sciences, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa CA, 1999 - 2000
- Instructor, Associate Degree in Nursing Program, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa CA, 1987 - 1999
- Instructor, Associate Degree in Nursing Program, Napa Valley College, Napa CA, 1985 - 1987
- Adjunct Instructor, Associate Degree in Nursing Program, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa CA, 1982 - 1985
Born and raised in the South (Atlanta, Georgia), I received my basic nursing education from a diploma (hospital) based program there. Wanting to "see the world" I joined the U.S. Air Force as a nurse and saw Wilford Hall Medical Center at Lackland Air Force Base (AFB) in San Antonio, Texas (my choice). Realizing that I wanted to do and see more, I left the Air Force (active duty) and joined the U.S. Air Force Reserves to "further see the world." My flight nurse training was at Brooks AFB in San Antonio,TX . I joined the 65th Aero-Medical Evacuation Reserve Unit at Travis AFB in Fairfield, CA. In the reserves we transported medical military patients and their dependents in the C141 aircraft from the Phillipines to Hawaii to Travis. I also traveled to Anchorage, Alaska for Air Force Reserve training flights on weekends.
I settled in San Francisco and started my "further education" route going to City College of SF and eventually graduating from Sonoma State University with a BS in Nursing and University of California at San Francisco with a MS in Nursing. Along the education route, I worked at various clinical agencies gaining years of experience in medical-surgical nursing with an emphasis on cardiac monitoring and cardiac care, while also gaining critical care, emergency, surgical, and supervisory experience.
Working as a clinical instructor at one agency, I discovered the joy of teaching. I evolved from inservice training to formal teaching in a school of nursing, psychiatric technician program and now the LVN program. My area of interest now is incorporating technology into education. I enjoy working with the continuing student who is pursuing a goal. Adult learners are fun to work with; bringing valuable life experiences to the classroom, lab and cyberspace.
Personally, I am married with twins -- a boy and a girl. Both attended SRJC. My son graduated from University of California at Santa Barbara with a major in sociology. My daughter is married to an ex-Marine who served one tour in Iraq. My husband is a freelance/wine writer who has written many books about wine and is published in many wine and non-wine magazines.
Professional Areas of Interest:
- Incorporating Technology in Education and Nursing
- Cardiopulmonary Nursing
Professional Involvement and Community Service:
- Institutional Planning Counsel - one semester sabbatical replacement, Fall 2008
- SRJC Academic Senate - past member
- SRJC Curriculum Committee - past member
- SRJC District Facility Planning Committee - past member
- American Nurses Association - California
- Sigma Theta Tau, Honor Society of Nursing, Lambda Gamma Chapter, member
- Nurse's Health Study II, Harvard School of Public Health, volunteer participant, since 1990
- Santa Rosa Central Youth Soccer Club, Past President
Presentations and Publications:
- Online Medical Terminology, Course Development, VETI II Workshop, Canada College, April 7, 2000
- Online Medical Terminology, Course Development, Learning on the Internet, Santa Rosa Junior College, April 15, 2000
Having retired from full-time teaching at SRJC in May 2010, I am now an adjunct/part-time instructor in the SRJC Vocational Nursing (VN) Program which I joined in Fall 2007. My prior teaching experience includes from 2000 - 2007, I taught medical-surgical nursing in the Psychiatric Technician Program. From 1982 - 2000, I taught medical-surgical nursing in the Associate Degree in Nursing program at Santa Rosa Junior College and Napa Valley College. Teaching in many Health Science programs presents differing challenges and a greater appreciation for each program/profession.